Chatham County's Historic Districts
The Goldston Commercial Historic District is a national historic district encompassing 15 contributing buildings in the central business district of Goldston. The buildings date from about 1890 to 1935. Notable buildings include the Bynum and Paschal Warehouse (c. 1895), the Bynum and Paschal/Second Farmer's Union Company Store (c. 1899), the First Farmer's Union Store (c. 1908), A.J. Goldston General Store (c. 1890), and McLaurin Grocery Store (c. 1930). The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. [CH0538 11/25/1987]
Mount Vernon Springs
The Mount Vernon Springs Historic District is located near Bonlee. The district encompasses 23 contributing buildings, 3 contributing sites, and 7 contributing structures in the rural village of Mount Vernon Springs. The village grew up near a locally famous mineral spring. Notable buildings include the Greek Revival style Female Dormitory of the Baptist Academy (1855), Gothic Revival style Mt. Vernon Springs Presbyterian Church (1885), the John C. Kirkman House (c. 1877), Robert P. Johnson House (c, 1883), and John M. Foust House (c. 1881 and c. 1910). Also located in the district are the Mt. Vernon Springs, the Baptist Academy Cemetery, and the Mt. Vernon Springs Presbyterian Church cemetery. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. [CH047 2/3/1987]
The New Hope Rural Historic Archeological District encompasses a collection of historic archaeological sites in Chatham County. The closest community is Wilsonville. The area encompassing more than 11,000 acres--now partially inundated by Jordan Lake--was identified as archaeologically sensitive by the United States Army Corps of Engineers during the planning for the lake. The sites include the remains of farmsteads, and at least one cemetery. The district was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.*
In 1997, the CCHA prepared a successful application for grant funds to allow the Town of Pittsboro to hire a consultant to prepare the National Register nomination for the Pittsboro Historic District. That nomination was prepared with extensive involvement from the CCHA, and resulted in National Register status for the historic district in 2000.
The Pittsboro Historic District encompasses some 131 buildings and an area of 590 acres. Located in the district and separately listed are the Chatham County Courthouse, the Hall-London House, the Moore-Manning House, the Reid House, the Lewis Freeman House, the McClenahan House, and the Patrick St. Lawrence House. Other notable buildings include the Blair Hotel, Pilkington Drug Store / S & T' s Soda Shoppe, Justice Motor Company building (1949), St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church (1832), Pittsboro United Methodist Church (c. 1836), and Queen Anne style Henry H. Fike House (c. 1895). [CH0704 5/5/2000]
A brochure of the historic district is available at the Chatham Historical Museum.
East Raleigh Street Historic District is a national historic district located at Siler City, Chatham County, North Carolina. The district encompasses 39 contributing buildings in a predominantly residential section of Siler City. They were built between about 1895 and 1945, and include representative examples of the Queen Anne and Tudor Revival architectural styles. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. [CH0633 5/11/2000]
North Third Avenue Historic District is a national historic district located at Siler City, Chatham County, North Carolina. The district encompasses seven contributing buildings on approximately 40 acres in a predominantly residential section of Siler City. Built between about 1890 and 1930, the structures include five primary residential dwellings and the First Baptist Church and parsonage. They are representative examples of the Classical Revival and Bungalow / American Craftsman architectural styles. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. [CH0654 7/20/2000]
Siler City Commercial Historic District is a national historic district located at Siler City, Chatham County, North Carolina. The district encompasses 45 contributing buildings on 62 acres in the central business district of Siler City. They are primarily one- and two-story brick buildings dated between 1897 and 1945. Located in the district is the separately listed Hotel Hadley. Other notable buildings include the Farmers Alliance Store (1909), Edwards-Wren Building (1906), Chatham Bank (1913), Wren Building (1912), former Siler City Furniture Building (1928), Colonial Revival style U.S. Post Office (1940), Phillips Office Supplies Building, Thorpe and Associates Building, and Fred C. Justice Building. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. [CH0050 7/27/2000]
*National Register nomination forms are not provided for archaeological sites.
Photos: Mt. Vernon Presbyterian Church; Henry A. London House in Pittsboro; Farmer's Alliance Store in Siler City.
Chatham County Historical Association
https://chathamhistory.org ~ email@example.com ~ PO Box 93 ~ Pittsboro NC 27312 ~ 919-542-6222 ~